The History of St. Mark Parish
St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church and School are located on the southside of Indianapolis, at the corner of US 31 South and Edgewood Avenue. November 2, 1947 was the official ground breaking for the St. Mark School and Chapel. On May 1, 1947, Father Leo Schafer was formally appointed as the first pastor for St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Parish. The School had opening ceremonies on September 12, 1948 and officially opened for classes on Tuesday, September 21, 1948.
In September 1949, St. Mark opened a new convent as the new home of the parish nuns. Our rectory, which is still currently located on the adjacent lot next to the church, was built in 1950. On April 1, 1951, St. Mark celebrated the ground breaking for a new Church to replace the Chapel in the school building. On July 27, 1952, the parish moved into the new church that faced west on US 31 South.
St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church and School celebrated their Silver Anniversary in 1973. The parish continued to grow in numbers and spirituality. The school grew in number and in space with three additions, adding a library, two offices, a teacher’s lounge and brought the classrooms to 22.
In 1992, the parish broke ground for a new, larger and permanent Church building. The old church would become Schafer Hall and would be home to a multipurpose gymnasium and basement/cafeteria. The new church building was officially dedicated on September 26, 1993. St. Mark the Evangelist Catholic Church and school celebrated it 50 Year Golden Jubilee in 1998.